Friday, January 28, 2011

macarons and affogato



It may sound crazy but these are what I ate for my breakfast this morning-raspberry rose butter macarons with affogato. The rapberry rose butter cream macarons from Bon appetit magazine were so delicious that I had to make them again. To use up all the post-macaron-egg-yolks, I made some ice cream as well.


I used Fancois Payard's recipe. It is simple and I think it the best vanilla ice cream recipe I have tried so far. I don't like too rich and eggy ice cream. This is just right to my taste.


Vanilla ice cream (adapted from Francois Payard)

ingredients
2 cups half and half
1 vanilla bean
6 large egg yolks
2/3 cup sugar

to make
Prepare a big bowl for ice bath. Set it aside. Cook the half and half in a sauce pan. Split the vanilla bean, scrape the seeds out. Add vanilla seeds and pod to the sauce pan. Bring it up to a boil. Meanwhile, in a big bowl, beat 6 egg yolks with sugar with a hand mixer until yolks turn pale and thick.(about 3 minutes) When the half and half just about to boil, turn off the heat and let it sit for a few minutes to cool down a little bit. Carefully add hot half and half to the egg mixture. Pour slowly, little by little. Then return the mixture back to the sauce pan. Cook until the thermometer reads 175F. Be careful not to overcook the mixture. Continue stirring. As soon as the mixture reaches 175 F, cool it down immediately on ice bath. Strain the liquid. Freeze the mixture according to unit's instruction.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home