Crumbled Tofu with perilla leaves
This is subtly flavorful dish where Tofu plays major role. More and more people appreciate Tofu these days for its genuine taste- not as a blend but healthier choice of protein which is often overpowered by other ingredients. We Koreans are very serious about Tofu and I grew up eating locally and freshly made Tofu which was sold by street vendors. It was warm and purely fragrant, with just perfect texture. We didn't need much to manipulate the flavor. Sometimes just salt.
I used organic firm tofu in the recipe.
a box of firm Tofu
al bundle of green perilla leaves
3 T green perilla seeds (or sesame seeds) / ground
1 T sesame seed oil
1 T Gochugaru (Korean red pepper powder)
a big pinch of sea salt
1 t soy sauce
1 T chopped scallion
1/4 t chopped garlic
1. Drain the Tofu completely then crumble it with hands.
2. While draining Tofu, blanch the perilla leaves in salted boiling water for 15 seconds.
3. Drain the perilla leaves and squeeze out excess water.
4. Mix perilla leaves with Tofu and the rest of the ingredients.
5. Season with more salt if needed.